Defensive Coordinator Hobart Athletics
Hobart and William Smith Colleges
The successful candidate will assist the Hobart football head coach in the organization and management of a competitive NCAA Division III football program. The position responsibilities will include teaching, guiding and coaching student-athletes for successful competition; executing the duties of a defensive coordinator or position coach; supporting student-athletes’ academic success; recruiting prospective students; scouting opponents; fundraising; developing alumni and parent relations; administrative tasks; and other duties as assigned.
Coaching, Counseling and Guiding Student Athletes:
- Responsible for providing instruction and training necessary to create skills, techniques, and physical conditioning sufficient to enable each participant to compete safely and competently. Must exhibit a high level of expertise in the sport. Additionally, the incumbent is responsible for assisting in the preparation, implementation and evaluation of practice and game plans, and operating related digital platforms.
- Responsible for representing the Colleges on the highest professional level with dignity, integrity, and strength of character and to exhibit ethical behavior.
- Through effective rapport and communication with student-athletes, reinforces academic success as a priority. Encourages student-athletes to foster positive relationships with faculty, deans and staff.
- Effectively recruit prospective student-athletes under the direction of the head coach and consistent with the Colleges’ mission, while maintaining open communication with other Hobart coaches regarding shared prospects
- Maintain the sport-specific recruiting electronic database
- Recruit student-athletes who coincide with the academic profile of HWS students
- Stay informed on current trends and strategies and be knowledgeable of/compliant with all instructional, department, NCAA and Liberty League policies, rules and regulations. Continuously seek self-improvement and development by attending clinics, workshops and other related developmental programs. Participate in Hobart Athletics Napier Leadership seminars.
- Promote the sport and Hobart Athletics in area communities; assisting in the planning and management of fundraising activities. Maintain a positive relationship with interested constituents (e.g. youth groups, civic organizations, media) and develops positive relationships with Hobart alumni and parents.
Operational Team Responsibilities
- Serve on Athletics Department operational team, assisting with departmental initiatives
- Assist with special events (e.g. Annual Awards Banquet, Hobart Hall of Fame)
- Represent the department on campus committees.
Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred. A minimum of four years combined football playing and/or coaching experience at the college-level required. Candidates must demonstrate strong potential to teach, lead and counsel college student-athletes and have enthusiasm for the recruiting duties of the position. The candidate must be a person of integrity, high ethical standards, have excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills. The candidate must demonstrate a commitment to the NCAA Division III philosophy and mission of Hobart and William Smith Athletics. Competence with technology resources and a current U.S. driver’s license are vital to fulfilling the responsibilities of this position. CPR and First Aid certification required.
This is a full-time, 10-month, benefits-eligible, administrative position. Evening and weekend work are required. This position description is not all-inclusive as other tasks or responsibilities may be assigned
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. Interested applicants are encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume and the names with contact information of at least three (3) professional references to our application service, Interfolio http://apply.interfolio.com/83876
If you have a question or need help on uploading your application materials, please contact Interfolio's support team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-877-997-8807 between the hours of 9:00 a.m. through 6 p.m., EST, Monday through Friday.
Hobart and William Smith Colleges are committed to providing a non-discriminatory and harassment-free educational, living and working environment for all members of the HWS community, including students, faculty, staff, volunteers, and visitors. HWS prohibits discrimination and harassment in their programs and activities on the basis of age, color, disability, domestic violence victim status, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other status protected under the law. Discrimination on the basis of sex includes sexual harassment, sexual violence, sexual assault, and other forms of sexual misconduct including stalking and intimate partner violence, and gender-based harassment that does not involve conduct of a sexual nature.
Hobart and William Smith Colleges are a highly selective residential liberal arts institution located in a small, diverse city in the Finger Lakes region of New York State. With an enrollment of approximately 2,200, the Colleges offer 62 majors and minors from which students choose two areas of concentration. Creative and extensive programs of international study and public service are also at the core of the Colleges’ mission.